With the upcoming 3 week mid-season break during The Magnus Archives Season 4, it’s a great opportunity for us to bring back something many of you have been asking for.
Welcome to Rusty Fears 2: Fear More…
After the rousing success of the Rusty Fears horror writing competition last year, we’re bringing it back this year, to see what new terrors you can bring to entertain us and our fans. And this time there is a THEME! This year, we would like to see your tales on the theme of Urban Legends. How you choose to interpret this is up to you, but we’ll be on the lookout particularly for original takes and/or exploration of tales that might be less well-known in traditional Western media.
Thus, would you like to hear YOUR words on air? This year, we’re offering the chance for 1 person to have their original horror short story produced and read out by Jonny and/or other members of the RQ crew (depending on availability) as part of the upcoming break. Full details are provided below, but you’ve got until the 23rd of May (the airdate of MAG140) to get your creative pieces to us and a judging panel will choose 1 lucky piece to undergo the RQ treatment and be released in the main #MagnusPod feed. So, pick up those quills and get writing!
RUSTY FEARS 2: Fear More – a RQ Horror Writing competition
Terms & Conditions
- Competition closes at midnight GMT on Thursday 23rd May 2019.
- Submissions should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org with the Subject of ‘Rusty Fears 2 Entry’.
- There will be 1 (ONE) winning entry.
- Entries should be an original short story in the horror genre, with a word count between 1,000 and 2,500 words (not including title).
- Entries should incorporate the theme of Urban Legends.
- Do not include more than 2 (TWO) characters/voices.
- Must be in English (or English dialect).
- We are looking for stories NOT statements. Please do NOT submit stories set in the Magnus-verse or use #MagnusPod characters/events/IP in your submission.
- Entries should be in prose, NOT script or statement format.
- No more than 1 (ONE) entry per person; collaborations are permitted but will not allow for those writers to submit individual entries as well.
- Entries should abide by the standards as presented in The Magnus Archives, and avoid lazy & inappropriate horror tropes like queer-coded ‘evil’, sexual trauma and mental illness stigmatisation.
- The winning entry may undergo script editing before transmission.
- The winning entry will be read/voice acted by members of the Rusty Quill crew and the episode will be broadcast publicly on 13th June 2019.
- Whilst copyright in the winning entry remains vested with its respective writer(s), the writer(s) agree to freely licence the work and any adaptation thereof to Rusty Quill Ltd, who may use it as they see fit with appropriate credit given where due.
- In the unlikely event that we do not receive any entries that meet our standards, Rusty Quill reserves the right to decline to name & produce a winning entry.
- The judges’ decision is final and, unfortunately, no communication with writers about non-winning entries can be entered into, unless otherwise agreed.
- Any questions should be directed to email@example.com or @therustyquill on Twitter or by PM to Anil (Community Manager) on the Discord.